Wheelchair Community Rights are Protected
As Chicago strives towards becoming more wheelchair accessible, the city has been proactive in implementing policies in consideration of wheelchair users’ experience, whether residents or visitors.
The Chicago Human Rights Ordinance
The Chicago Human Rights Ordinance prohibits discrimination of those with disabilities by public accommodations. These include any place that sells, leases, provides or offers any product, facility, or service to the general public.
Anyone violating the ordinance can get fined $100 to $500 per offense, with each date the violator continues counted as another offense altogether.
Disability Rights Regulations
Effective July 1, 2017, revisions were made to the Disability Rights Regulations to improve citywide accessibility for wheelchair users, adding clarity to existing protections, to help businesses and other establishments.
The revisions include:
- Providing auxiliary aids and services for effective communication with customers who are hard of hearing
- Allowing service animals to accompany people with disabilities inside establishments
- Providing alternative formats for documents to make it easier for people living with disabilities such as Braille, large print, or electronic formats, especially for those who have visual impairments
- Removing any criteria for eligibility that may screen out people with disabilities from accessing goods and services
- Making alterations to existing policies, practices, and procedures within establishments to make sure that those with disabilities have ample access to goods and services that they need
The goal of the Chicago Commission on Human Relations (CCHR) initiative is in place to make sure that every person with disabilities, be they living in Chicago or simply visiting, will get the resources that they need. These revisions also aim to improve business services for those living with disabilities, allowing more independence.
What This Means for People With Disabilities in Chicago
Having policies in place, and consistently revising as needed, will further Chicago’s progress as a more accessible city. Paired with excellent accessible services, like BriteLift wheelchair transportation, it will become easier for those individuals to live more comfortably in the Windy City.
BriteLift Offers Transportation Solutions for Wheelchair Patients
Our commitment at BriteLift is to ensure safe and convenient transportation to wheelchair users around Chicago. We guarantee the best experience, when you need to get to your appointments, procedures or any other destination, assisting you door-through-door and helping you get the resources that you need. BriteLift also works with Chicago’s medical establishments, school districts, and other businesses through corporate accounts.
Learn about how we’ve responded to the current health crisis through sanitation and more: BriteLift COVID-19 Response.